Stuyvesant Mangaka Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stuyvesant Mangaka Club

show some love for manga

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to Kill An Art Block

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AgnesC
Vice President
Vice President
AgnesC

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2006-10-08

How to Kill An Art Block Empty
PostSubject: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyTue May 01, 2007 7:27 pm

everyone has one occasionally, right? (don't answer. ;_;) I had a really evil one for the duration of March, basically... it got me thinking, what do you do when you have one? because I don't consider these things when they actually happen. T_T

my advice... is not really advice. but consider it a prompt. you can do better than me, of course you can.

-first, take the pencil or pen you're holding and chuck it across the room. pick up a different one. *completely serious* see the weird long-winded note a couple posts down.
-doodle. concentrate without thinking about it. sketch messy. just don't think.
-listen to music for inspiration, especially if you're stumped on character design.
-draw fanart, if you're stumped beyond that. experiment with different styles and coloring.
-why? it seems that art blocks happen just before your style is about to evolve. it just needs an extra push. *great epiphany, yes?*

your turn. shoot away. :]

Last edited by on Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YinlerthaiC.
Mage
Mage
YinlerthaiC.

Number of posts : 364
Registration date : 2006-09-26

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyTue May 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Ooh, those are some nice ideas...I certainly do hate art blocks.

As for me:

1) Quit drawing and go play video games (might be just me (>>))
2) Go Google/stare at other people's art, preferably ones that you really, really like, or think are extremely awesome. Might give you inspiration, or a burning passion to do just as well as them! (again...could just be me)

3) Sleep. (Yea...)
Back to top Go down
Han
Mage
Mage
Han

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2006-09-25

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyTue May 01, 2007 8:32 pm

I don't get art blocks. I just can't draw because I don't have enough experience hehe
Back to top Go down
http://www.betradom.deviantart.com
YinlerthaiC.
Mage
Mage
YinlerthaiC.

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyTue May 01, 2007 9:30 pm

AgnesC wrote:
-first, take the pencil or pen you're holding and chuck it across the room. pick up a different one. *completely serious*

Hmm...but...I get attached to my material objects...*hugs special pencil/pen*
They're like...lucky...and stuff...
Back to top Go down
AgnesC
Vice President
Vice President
AgnesC

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyTue May 01, 2007 10:53 pm

^ lol. XD well, not literally throw it. I don't have favorite pens/pencils... so what I end up drawing varies with the tool I have. pens especially. you can do softer/sharper lines with some, depending on the nib, and some are easier to hold if you want to draw free strokes... I know I sound strange. XD but you should see my handwriting change shape depending on the pen I have. and the kind of lead in my pencil. I'm picky about it but I can't tell one from the other anyway. so I toggle between the ones I have. that's just me. bow I'm not crazy. just temperamental, maybe... --__--;
Back to top Go down
YinlerthaiC.
Mage
Mage
YinlerthaiC.

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyWed May 02, 2007 12:22 am

Ooh...yeah, I get it. The feel of the tool affects the way you draw. *nod nod*

But~

I guess for me...I'm just attached to my one writing utensil because it's both a lead pencil, and a ball-point pen combined...and the lead pencil can have different feels too(like when I use up a bunch of lead and it gets soft, or use the sharp tip point, or the soft blunt part...)

I guess for me, my tool doesn't affect me much since my tool is pretty much universal almost...Plus, it's got comfy grips! (Those soft...rubbery...parts) whee
Back to top Go down
AgnesC
Vice President
Vice President
AgnesC

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyWed May 02, 2007 6:14 pm

kyaa~ it sounds so cool. ^__^
I just pick up whatever is around me. *doh* cry3
Back to top Go down
YinlerthaiC.
Mage
Mage
YinlerthaiC.

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyWed May 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Hmm...that could work. Perhaps with art blocks, a change in scenery (or tool...ery?) can help.

Hmm...

4) Watch TV.
5) Take a shower...or bath.
6) Go eat something salty (just me, probably).
7) Uhh...hold up...
Back to top Go down
AgnesC
Vice President
Vice President
AgnesC

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyWed May 02, 2007 10:13 pm

i'll try those next time. hopefully next time won't come soon. ninja
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2006-08-29

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyThu May 03, 2007 6:03 pm

i agree to the music thing. i needddd music playing when i draw. well ok, maybe not absolute must but anything with an upbeat tempo kind of encourages me to draw ^^ but i turn it off and on in between sometimes 'cause my ears get tired if say i listen to rock music for an hour straight. mm i like the instrumental music from gundam seed.

mmm... make your friends pose for you and take photos of them =D or catch them at random awkward/funny situations and draw that.
Back to top Go down
http://kittyx3.deviantart.com
Han
Mage
Mage
Han

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2006-09-25

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyThu May 03, 2007 6:42 pm

HelenX wrote:
i agree to the music thing. i needddd music playing when i draw. well ok, maybe not absolute must but anything with an upbeat tempo kind of encourages me to draw ^^ but i turn it off and on in between sometimes 'cause my ears get tired if say i listen to rock music for an hour straight. mm i like the instrumental music from gundam seed.

mmm... make your friends pose for you and take photos of them =D or catch them at random awkward/funny situations and draw that.
oh ya, I need upbeat music to keep me going on schoolwork sometimes lols. So those depressing songs = dumped out

Random anime music from Gendou ftw lols
Back to top Go down
http://www.betradom.deviantart.com
YinlerthaiC.
Mage
Mage
YinlerthaiC.

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block EmptyThu May 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Music, huh? I'm not into loud music, no, not when I'm drawing...or studying...or anything else much. I prefer to relax. Unless I'm in the mood for loud/rock/roll. Otherwise...

Yay! Nice, quiet/slow/pretty instrumental video game music! And songs, too. Like from Phantom Brave. wink

Tcheh...all game music, and a few anime songs. huh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Kill An Art Block   How to Kill An Art Block Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Kill An Art Block
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stuyvesant Mangaka Club :: Other :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: