Stuyvesant Mangaka Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stuyvesant Mangaka Club

show some love for manga

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Christmas Contest

Go down 
+2
Sakai Yuji
HelenX
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Christmas Contest

UPDATE/// okay so, many people have mentioned to me that they have a hard time inking and/or coloring. thus, if you are seriously totally scared or don't have the time to ink and/or color, i will allow sketches to be considered as entries as well.. because i know how hard some of you guys work on your drawings- colored and sketches alike. however, this does not mean that people can submit quick 15minute sketches. i would like the entries to have a bit of a "complete" look to it, something that looks like you tried, and not just another doodle okay? =)
Ganbatte mina!! ///END UPDATE

Deadline/Contest Day(the day we vote and give out prizes!): 12/15/06, 12/19/06, or 12/21/06 Vote in the poll for which date you want it to be on: https://mangaka.forumotion.com/
(Check back for the actual date when the poll is closed.)

Theme: Draw anything related to Christmas or winter in general in anime/manga style.
It can be a picture, a little comic, or painting. (You can even make figurines for an entry xD lol. Be creative.)
It can be black and white (inked) or colored. (no sketches) (clean sketches now allowed)
It can be made by traditional and/or digital means.
Multiple submissions from a person are accepted. However, each person can only win one of the prizes at most.

Who can join?
>> Anyone! (As long as they're from Stuy.)
What do I do if my entry is digital art?
>> eh..just print it and bring it in on contest day
I'm so gona win this thing. >=]
>> lol, that's the spirit! Good for you. can't wait to see your entry~
Hmm.. I'm scared/don't think I can draw good enough...
>> Pftt! You'll never know unless you try. Besides, there's nothing to lose. =)

I'm telling you guys over a month in advance so don't give me the excuse, "I didn't have enought time!". =]

Everyone who attends the meeting on Contest Day will vote for the winners.
There will be 3 winners and 3 prizes! Prizes are a mystery until voting day! ^o^
Don't worry, we give out decent prizes.

Last edited by on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://kittyx3.deviantart.com
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2006-10-06

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySun Oct 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Can we use characters from an anime(s) we know?
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySun Oct 08, 2006 10:39 pm

Well then that gives me a reason to go get myself a scanner >_>
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyMon Oct 09, 2006 10:22 am

i can scan something for you if you want.
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyMon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 am

Nah, it's alright. I've been meaning to get a scanner for a while now but I was also saving money for my mouse. I could use a scanner a lot, but I need a working mouse. But I could risk getting a scanner. Or hopefully get both.
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 5:10 pm

Ooh, a double post. Someone shoot me ;P

I was wondering, what would be considered "short"? Cause I don't think mine is going to be less than 10 pages or so >_> prolly like an actual chapter in a manga or something.
Back to top Go down
LawrenceL
Mage
Mage
LawrenceL

Number of posts : 245

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 5:53 pm

I have this great idea for the Christmas Contest, but I'm terrible at drawing, but anyway here it goes:
Girl hugging boy, both in red and white Santa fur jackets. Girl has Santa hat w/ silver bells. Background is city at night with lights all over the place and a huge bright Christmas tree can be seen in the far back.
Well? What do ya think? Its a single picture of course. Whoever attempts this will win my total respect! I might even try it myself sometime.

Mmm, to find a good sample city background, I might need to use Rockafeller at night.
*Runs and purposely gets lost in the streets of Manhattan. Then spends night there* xD
Back to top Go down
LawrenceL
Mage
Mage
LawrenceL

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 5:56 pm

What?!?!? It has to be inked or colored?!?!? Aww, now its impossible for me. sad2
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Sakai Yuji wrote:
Nah, it's alright. I've been meaning to get a scanner for a while now but I was also saving money for my mouse. I could use a scanner a lot, but I need a working mouse. But I could risk getting a scanner. Or hopefully get both.

I was wondering, what would be considered "short"? Cause I don't think mine is going to be less than 10 pages or so >_> prolly like an actual chapter in a manga or something.
yes get both! lol.
mmm, i didn't say the contest entry had to be short. it can be as short as one page and as long as how ever many pages long you want it to be. i'm giving you guys a lot of freedom to choose . it just has to deal with Christmas/winter and be done in manga/anime style.

LawrenceL wrote:
I have this great idea for the Christmas Contest, but I'm terrible at drawing, but anyway here it goes:
Girl hugging boy, both in red and white Santa fur jackets. Girl has Santa hat w/ silver bells. Background is city at night with lights all over the place and a huge bright Christmas tree can be seen in the far back.
Well? What do ya think? Its a single picture of course. Whoever attempts this will win my total respect! I might even try it myself sometime.
Mmm, to find a good sample city background, I might need to use Rockafeller at night.

What?!?!? It has to be inked or colored?!?!? Aww, now its impossible for me.
heh cute idea =] and um, why's that impossible. i can see that coloring can be pretty hard but inking shouldn't be that big of a problem. just make sure you use a pen that doesn't smudges and has a thin point. if you want to use a sakura micron pen, i can lend you mine during the club meetings.
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Haha...I'm not too confident in my ability to ink >_> does anyone mind inking in photoshop?
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Sakai Yuji wrote:
Haha...I'm not too confident in my ability to ink >_> does anyone mind inking in photoshop?
yea, you can ink it on PS if you want.
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Do you mind if I ask a friend to do that part for me? Cuz I can't run PS. Or more precisely, I can't install it. I could do it in MS Paint, but for one, the lines would be pixelated, and two, that's over 10 pages of MS Paint we're talking about, it'd take me half a year to do all that.
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 9:11 pm

mmm okay, but if your entry wins, you'll have to share the prize with your friend.
Back to top Go down
LawrenceL
Mage
Mage
LawrenceL

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyWed Oct 11, 2006 11:19 pm

I dont know how to quote so here it goes:
HelenX wrote:
heh cute idea =] and um, why's that impossible. i can see that coloring can be pretty hard but inking shouldn't be that big of a problem. just make sure you use a pen that doesn't smudges and has a thin point.

Inking might be easier than I thought, however, I still don't know how to ink or color or all that kind of stuff. Never learned it. Hope I get better through the years.
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyThu Oct 12, 2006 6:56 am

Inking is hell when you're doing the small details, such as the face. Mess up there and you'll regret it. I'm still having problems inking with an 0.3 pen.
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyThu Oct 12, 2006 5:31 pm

Sakai Yuji wrote:
Inking is hell when you're doing the small details, such as the face. Mess up there and you'll regret it. I'm still having problems inking with an 0.3 pen.
oh i use a 0.2mm pen. i'm trying to find a 0.1mm pen though.

LawrenceL wrote:
HelenX wrote:
heh cute idea =] and um, why's that impossible. i can see that coloring can be pretty hard but inking shouldn't be that big of a problem. just make sure you use a pen that doesn't smudges and has a thin point.
Inking might be easier than I thought, however, I still don't know how to ink or color or all that kind of stuff. Never learned it. Hope I get better through the years.
mmm there's a button that says "quote" on top of each message. or you can use this code:
[quote="username"]blahblahblah[/*quote] <--delete the * in it and replace username with the person's username.
lols well inking is really simply tracing over your work ^^; if you're worried that you'll hand will shake, take out scrap paper and draw repeated lines and curves all over it for practice
Back to top Go down
Monika
President
President
Monika

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2006-10-07

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyThu Oct 12, 2006 5:57 pm

Quote :

You just copy whatever you want to quote and paste it into a new entry, then put [ QUOTE ] (minus the spaces) in front of it, and [ /QUOTE ] behind it.

There's also a quote button on the entry thing, and on top of the person's post. Idea (I noticed that after I finished typing the above paragraph) -.-
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga.com/monstika
RaymondL
Prior Secretary
Prior Secretary
RaymondL

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2006-08-30

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptyThu Oct 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Monika wrote:
Quote :

You just copy whatever you want to quote and paste it into a new entry, then put [ QUOTE ] (minus the spaces) in front of it, and [ /QUOTE ] behind it.

There's also a quote button on the entry thing, and on top of the person's post. Idea (I noticed that after I finished typing the above paragraph) -.-
but it would be nice to include the person;s name of who you quoted
Back to top Go down
Sakai Yuji
Villager
Villager
Sakai Yuji

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySun Nov 12, 2006 8:24 pm

Doesn't look like I'll make it in time for the contest deadline :X Unless I go into overdrive during thanksgiving, which is unlikely. I'll still do it, just I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it on time...
Back to top Go down
Monika
President
President
Monika

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 9:38 am

uhh, this is a really stupid question, but what do we do with the finished picture? just post it here, or what?
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 1:37 pm

We'll being holding the contest(voting and deciding winners) on friday 12/22 so bring your entry in to the club meeting on that day. The date might change to an earlier date if people don't feel like staying after school on the last day of school before winter vacation starts. I'll put up a poll later to see when people want the contest day to be.
after contest day, scan and post up your work =) If you don't have a scanner, give it to me so I'll scan it for you and post it up. (Yes, I want them up on the forum sooner or later so there can be a little record of submissions from every year.)
nya! good luck~ =)
Back to top Go down
Monika
President
President
Monika

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 4:00 pm

HelenX wrote:
so bring your entry in to the club meeting on that day.

yeaaaaaaaaah. that's a problem. because my printer's broken (prints in black and pink only shock ). and my entry's photoshopped. sad2
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 7:59 pm

well, you still have some time to buy new ink ^^;
or you can ask a friend to print it for you
and if you really can't find anyone to print it, you can send the file to me and i'll print it
Back to top Go down
HelenX
Prior President
Prior President
HelenX

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest EmptySat Dec 02, 2006 9:29 pm

editted the rules on the first pg of this thread. basically, sketches allowed now. ^__~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Christmas Contest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Christmas Contest   Christmas Contest Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas Contest
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next